A few hours Windows 8 is available for download or purchase on the Microsoft site. The user can make the ‘ upgrade to Windows 8 Pro from a previous version of the operating system by downloading the installation file, or purchase the DVD in the period between October 26 and January 31, 2013. This article will explain the procedure to upgrade from Windows XP SP3, Vista and Windows 7. Anyone who wants to buy a new product are spoiled for choice. Major producers are already in catalog notebook, ultra book convertible tablet PCs and all-in-one.
Microsoft has simplified the steps required to upgrade than in the past, but you should also make a backup of your data. Here’s what will be transferred to Windows 8, based on the operating system from which you are upgrading:
- Applications, personal files and settings: Windows 7;
- Personal files and settings: Windows Vista SP1;
- Personal: Windows XP SP3 and Vista.
Will not transfer anything when you make install cross-architecture (from 32 to 64 bit) or cross-language. Only Windows 8 can change the language, using the language pack , but will retain only personal files. These however are the minimum hardware requirements for the upgrade:
- Processor: 1 GHz or higher with support for PAE, NX and SSE2 ;
- RAM: 1 GB (32-bit), 2 GB (64-bit);
- Disk space: 16 GB (32-bit), 20 GB (64-bit);
- Screen resolution: 1366 x 768 pixels;
- DirectX 9 compatible video card with a WDDM driver.
The upgrade procedure with the ‘ online edition of Windows 8 Pro is very simple. The first step is to run the ‘ update assistant that analyses hardware, applications and peripherals. If your computer meets the requirements, the assistant shows the successive phases of purchasing, downloading and installing the operating system.The complete procedure is described for Release Preview of Windows 8.
Here, finally, the prices reported by Microsoft for the different editions of Windows 8:
- Windows 8 Pro Upgrade (download): € 29.99;
- Windows 8 Pro Upgrade (DVD boxed): € 59.99;
- Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8: 14,99 € ( offer valid for new PCs until January 31, 2013);
- Windows 8 (OEM boxed): $ 99.99;
- Windows 8 Pro (OEM boxed): $ 139.99;
- Upgrade from Windows 8 Windows 8 Pro Pack (Windows 8 Pro + Media Center): 59,99 € (offer valid until January 31, 2013). Free Windows 8 Pro until 31 January 2013.