Each year, the editors and experts of the journal Science selected the ten most important scientific achievements of the year.
Scientific Achievements of the 2012
- 1. The discovery of the Higgs boson . On 4 July, physicists CMS and ATLAS , the two largest experiments of the Large Hadron Collider ( LHC ) located at CERN . I count on your day in Engadget Science: The CERN officially declared to have found “a new particle support Higgs theory”
- 2. Obtaining eggs from stem cells.
- 3. genomic sequence Denisova man from a bone than 80,000 years old, by the researcher Svante Pääbo, director of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig (Germany).
- 4. The discovery of Majorana fermion (a particle that is, simultaneously, its own antiparticle).
- 5. Advances in genomic engineering that allow “edit” the DNA of a living being.
Here are other five Scientific Achievements
- 6. The angular measurement of particles known as neutrinos to help explain why the universe contains as much matter and so little antimatter.
- 7. The decline of the robot system Curiosity currently exploring Mars.
- 8. The project of the Encyclopedia of DNA called ENCODE .
- 9. Advances in brain-machine interaction that allowed a person to move robotic limbs with thought.
- 10. Deciphering protein structures of the parasite that causes sleeping sickness X-ray laser