Microsoft Windows 10 is well and truly here. According to Microsoft Chief Executive Officer Satya Nadella, it marks a “new era” for personal computing. It remains to be seen as to whether consumers and businesses around the world will agree with Nadella’s assessment of the operating system, but it’s safe to say that this is Microsoft’s most ambitious and potentially impressive Windows release till date.
We understand that the majority of users would have downloaded Windows 10 directly through ‘Windows Update’ as part of the free-of-charge upgrade process when it was available, but now that it isn’t, and for those in need of an official Windows 10 ISO file, we are here to help you out.
Microsoft has clearly attempted to make sure that all bases are covered as far as installation options are concerned. Although the company started initiating pre-downloads of the operating system to registered PCs approximately 24-hours before the official launch in late July last year, it does appear to recognize that some consumers would require an official ISO image of the Windows 10 platform whenever the need to manually install or reinstall the OS on a formatted machine arises. The ISO image will of course allow for the creation of a bootable USB flash drive or DVD, to serve as an installation source.
As part of this ISO file offering by Microsoft, the company has also created a relatively small check list of what’s actually required before beginning the download:
- An active and reliable Internet connection.
- Enough storage space available on the computer being used to download the ISO.
- A blank USB storage device or DVD with at least 4GB of space for the creation of media. There’ll also be the requirement for a DVD burner if that’s your chosen medium.
- Make sure your PC meets all other Windows 10 requirements, you can check those here:
- As mentioned above, if you are doing a clean install, a genuine Windows product key will be required during installation process. Here’s guide on clean installing Windows 10.
If all of those criteria are met, then here’s what you need to do.
Step 1: First goto Microsoft’s official Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO) download page here.
Step 2: When you are on that download page, select your desired edition, and download ISO File.